Sophisticated toilet humour - Stick of Truth review


Hello all and thank you, Ville, for your survey!

I finished the Stick of Truth earlier today and I have to say that it was one of the best games a have played for a while. I'll try to give little explanation to this statement without spoiling the game in the following chapters.




I don't know how much you know about this game beforehand, but it is basically a role playing game based on South Park. I do not have much experience on other role playing games, but I suppose this has all the basic elements: You collect stuff, gain levels, buy better stuff, fight, loot and so on.

If you put it like this, the sounds like a pretty boring and unoriginal game. But it wasn't. Even though the game mechanics were quite basic, the plot was extremely well written and it had the perfect South Park atmosphere and humor in it. This is maybe because it was actually written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. So if you are a fan of the series, you'll definitely be a fan of this game. The game felt like an extended epic South Park episode.

In many games that I have played recently, I have felt that the game does not give anything new after the first few hours. After the beginning, the game just feels so repetitive that you wish that it would end soon. This has happened e.g. with Rage, Chariot, RE games, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space just to name few. What is the point of making the game ten hour long if you have ideas only for two hours? The only point is that you can advertise the game that it has lots of content and charge the full price. The complete opposite of this is the legendary Super Mario Bros. 3 (in my opinion the best game ever made so far.) In SMB3, you get a new theme and elements in every level and world, which keeps the game exciting all the time even though it is relatively long.

Got little bit side tracked there but if you have had the same kind of problems recently, you probably won't have those with this game. At least I did not.




So, in a nutshell:
If you are a fan of the series and you're looking for a game with the same humor and feeling as the series, you'll love the game. If you are not familiar with the series and do not like sophisticated toilet humor, you should play something else.

At least for Ville I can recommend this without hesitation.

Br,
Olli

Comments

  1. Based on Olli's analysis I immediately decided to get my hands on Stick of Truth. Annoyingly it was released on PS3 but not PS4. The next game, Fractured But Whole (hehe, I still like the pun), is for PS4 but is still in the making. Luckily Fractured But Whole will include a PS4 version of Stick of Truth. I was going to preorder them but just when I finally got to doing it (after a week of procrastination) the preorder option had been pulled off from the Playstation Store. Apparently the game's 2017 Q1 release has been delayed. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment