Against the Grain - The Last Jedi Is Thoroughly Good


What, so you say Star Wars films aren't games, huh?

Look closer and you'll see our name is Light-hearted Investigations and Interpretations on Games, and High-tension Explorations. Reviewing a Star Wars film is a high-tension exploration, if there ever were such things. It is probably THE definition of a high-tension exploration.


I'm writing this short piece because The Last Jedi made me so happy. Extremely happy in fact, and the feeling is only growing stronger and more confident. Which is why I'm so baffled seeing so many so disappointed in the film. I see people distancing themselves from the story, and it’s breaking my heart.

Lower your guards - you can keep reading. I will not be stepping onto spoiler-territory, at all. Still, I'm presenting my interpretations on the tone and beats of the film, so if you want to go in without any expectations - which I recommend - by all means skip this one for now. The comment sections is open for spoilers, of course.


Two years ago, I was giddy as a school boy when the yellow-tinged intro crawl of Episode VII - The Force Awakens finally arrived onto the big screen. By the time the ending credits appeared, I was ecstatic, literally exclaiming my joy and surprise. I had just seen something that had very much of the familiar, warm and fuzzy stuff, but with ingredients that made it feel new and invigorating.

Being a small-scale Hayao Miyazaki fan, echoes in the story and characters of the classic film NausicaƤ tugged at the heartstrings - they felt like a subtle wink from the makers, something that only few of us could catch. This was natural continuation - Lucas himself borrowed heavily from Kurosawa films for the original trilogy. As someone who claims the awful episodes I-III never happened, to me it was important that the new story felt like a part of the Star Wars universe. And the new characters were lovely, someone to root for.


Back then, some were quick to point out that the plot and structure followed that of Episode IV - A New Hope rather closely, and not unfairly. It's as if the filmmakers wanted to reassure the fans that they understand Star Wars and give them something they had been craving for. It certainly helped fans accept the surprising set of characters. A female lead and a black sidekick in a beloved, classic adventure saga were a daring, but risky step to take. As a result, people saw the film as lively and yet comforting, just what they had wanted since the original trilogy.


But remember what happened in Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back? After the first adventure, the blue-eyed tale of a young hero finding his powers and confidence, and saving the Rebels, the second chapter changed the rules entirely. Now, Luke faced gloom and uncertainty, fear of failure and self, while the rebels faced defeat. This subversion of expectations is what allowed the story to deliver the impact - it's why so many of us came away stunned in the end. Now, if the middle episode was going to achieve the same effect this time round, it had better find a new way. And it did exactly that. Not by turning the darkness and dread to overdrive, but by doing something unexpected.

In The Last Jedi, pretty much all that the fans wanted, they were denied. The familiar ground grew unstable as the story unfolded, and people felt uncomfortable.


I suspect this alienation was not, however, the result of the story bringing in too many new characters or places, or stylistic choices borrowed from other modern films, previously foreign to the universe and taking us out of the fantasy. At least not in any meaningful way. I believe the unease comes from elements that had previously very much existed in the Star Wars story, but been kept at arm’s length. Now they’re surfacing, changing the playground. It came across as a powerful message.

I think the story took what was extraordinary and surprising in Empire Strikes Back and turned it into a fully-developed theme, a guiding light, a supporting undercurrent that flowed through all the events, characters and their lines. And the characters were beautifully real because of that.


In this mellow haze of contentment it would be tempting to to ignore the fact that the film was indeed quite rough round the edges and some story threads felt loose. The aforementioned undercurrent is there, always, to connect the story points and emotions, but they did seem to drift, like flotsam and jetsam, in and out. Sometimes you can sense what the scenes aimed at, the suspense and feeling of being there, but didn’t quite reach. The pacing was especially abrupt near the end, even when mirrored against the non-traditional story arcs in The Empire Strikes Back. But note how these are purely cinematic failures. I don’t think these are that hard to overlook if the heart of the story is in the right place and you’re looking for it. The stumbles notwithstanding, the film attempted to do things that felt right.

That heart most certainly is there, but for some it will be difficult to accept. It’s not necessarily the most welcoming of hearts. Some characters might turn out different to how you’ve hoped or imagined them. Certain elements of the story might turn out to be red herrings. Some plans and endeavours from our characters didn't pan out as much as they simply fizzled out. Scenes where we waited for dramatic pomp and wise words refused, instead giving us awkward pause. Yet, these all quietly supported the theme of the story, that undercurrent.


Perhaps these intentionally unexpected elements and simple unintended blunders in cinematic storytelling blurred together for many viewers. Perhaps the sense of ownership of many fans - "This is not my Star Wars!" - is stripped away too quickly and the sting is too much. These factors can make for an unsatisfying individual film experience, but I feel they serve the larger picture, the overarching story, really well. And that is what really matters - that is perhaps the only thing that matters in a saga such as this. I’m going to say, even, that this episode retrospectively made The Force Awakens better than it was before.

If the Star Wars mythos, the baggage of tradition and expectations weighed upon these new stories like a heavy cape covers a Jedi, in this episode we saw that cloth slowly coming off and falling into the ground. It feels like the right time to let go. And that, ultimately, made for a thoroughly good darker middle chapter in what is slowly brewing into a proper Star Wars story.

- Janne

Comments

  1. It's great to read an article written from the heart. I have to say that I wasn't going to see this new Star Wars because I have the preconception that the new trilogy is going to be a rehash of the oldest trilogy. Until now. Reading your text---even though I can't quite put it in context because I haven't heard people's criticism of the movie nor do I know what happens in it---makes me think of the movie as a piece in a big puzzle. I'd like to form my own opinion of it. I think it's this opposition of your opinion vs. The Majority Opinion (my interpretation from your text) that makes the movie interesting.

    I also want to commend on the structure of the text. I think it flowed on very nicely. That's something that I wish to achieve in my writing one day perhaps... :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're literally being too kind! Thanks, Ville. :o) As I'm sure you already know, there's no secret sauce to these writings. It just takes enthusiasm and a lot of time. Proof-reads, changing the order of sentences, thinking stuff through and seeing you got it wrong the first time, and so on. It's fun.

      This was a quick one, for me, only taking two or three days, actually. In the future, I'm going to keep them like this, shorter, because I'm just too slow. :o)

      I'm really happy to hear you're considering going to see this one, too. Just try and leave the expectations that this review might've given you behind. :D

      Delete
  2. Today I learned that our very own Olli had NOT liked The Last Jedi one bit! We just hadn’t talked about it since the screening. This was a shock. C’mon now, Olli, tell us which parts were the worst? :o) The comment section is spoiler-zone, so you can go into the details.

    PS: And here’s some really helpful links for people who want more Star Wars...

    If you've ever wondered what’s it like working for the Empire/First Order, here’s a useful video. Kylo Ren becomes an undercover boss as he tries to get to know the
    Life of the everyday-officers and -stormtroopers:

    Undercover Boss - Starkiller Base - Saturday Night Live
    http://youtu.be/FaOSCASqLsE

    This is a lovely and lengthy chat between Adam Savage (Mythbusters!!) and the rest of the guys from Tested. They really liked the film, and it shows. Jump to 50 second mark to skip the ad:

    Still untitled - Adam Savage Project - Spoilercast: The Last Jedi
    http://youtu.be/dNdk7JJY6mg

    Apparently I’m not the only one who saw similarities between the new stories and NausicaƤ. The first minute is relatively safe if you want to avoid seeing anything important from NausicaƤ:

    Youtube: On the similarities between NausicaƤ, Rey and The Force Awakens
    http://youtu.be/1rRmGYiK6g

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, the other day I kindasorta noticed what’s wrong with The Last Jedi. It was a short youtube video essay about how Star Wars: A New Hope was saved by the film’s editors. The original, ”rough cut” of the beloved classic was, as it turns out, really, truly rough.

    This is how I now feel about the latest episode: the difference between the good parts and the bad ones is just jarringly noticeable. I’m still overjoyed to see the story being what it is, but, well yes, I’m disappointed in how it is told.

    Here’s a challenge... If you’re into Star Wars and see the first 30 seconds of the video, just try and not watch the rest. :o)

    How Star Wars was saved in the edit - RocketJump
    https://youtu.be/GFMyMxMYDNk
    (18 minutes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, so I finally went to see the movie today. I didn't have any specific expectations. I just wanted to see it for myself so that I can make a judgment on how "good" it is. (The bluntly round notion of "good" makes me shiver a bit.) And let it also be known that I don't consider myself a fan of Star Wars. I've seen the original trilogy and one or two of the generally disliked episodes.

    Throughout the Last Jedi, I found myself liking the movie. Quite a lot. It surprised me, which I think was a good thing. I liked the ample archetypes, the familiar characters, the emphasis on individuals, the comical touches, cutesey animals, small details in every scene that told their little stories. I felt like the crucial moments in the movie had something at stake. That I find remarkable because, as I mentioned earlier, I thought the movie would be predictable and repeat the old plotlines. There were familiar elements, those archetypes, but for example when Rey was given a certain big choice at the battleship, I thought the movie could have well taken one of many directions.

    I still don't quite understand what could be the source of heavy critique for this movie. I also still haven't watched any of those videos you linked, Janne. Maybe I'll watch some soon. Right now I'm just thinking that it's easy and even trendy to be critical of Star Wars because it's a big establishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to show you a great video essay on The Last Jedi. The reason I think it’s great is probably that I can wholeheartedly say that I agree with 100% of what he says. Ville, if you only watch one of these linked videos, I think this might be the best in describing all that is good about the film (and some things that upset people).

    Why Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is Actually Brilliant
    https://youtu.be/5_8_xsiWSxc

    I, of course, agree with the guy in that there were lots and lots of stuff that were downright bad. Unnecessary plot points, First Order being a hilariously varied bunch of both menacing and campy characters (which began already in Force Awakens), often clumsy building of tension, cheap jokes - although Luke throwing the lightsabre is not one, it’s a brisk slap of cold and wet codfish in your face, but it’s not played for jokes. The film looks incredibly hurried and hasty.

    But the important bits, the dark undercurrents that I alluded to in my review, the themes of failure, disappointment, uncertainty of yourself, fear of being alone, these are the rough gems that you should pick up from this movie. I think these elements certainly made the story unexpected, which Ville also picked up as a positive.

    After seeing The Force Awakens I felt warm, like I was back into the world I loved as a child. But I didn’t want any more than that. It was time for Star Wars to boldly go where ... Star Wars hadn’t gone before. And it did just that. My second favourite Star Wars movie, ever. :o)

    PS: Marko, I did see the video you linked. ;o) Man, he had gotten up on the wrong foot!

    But as a quick reply to all the criticisms (also beyond this video) I don’t think Luke’s character has changed at any point, he just failed himself momentarily, Rey’s not overpowered, she’s weak in things she cares about and strong in things she doesn’t understand. Is that not the universal plight of most of us?
    The line in the video about her never having to work for anything is precious - I’d suggest he watched the intro of TFA.

    Having the main baddie be unsure about his actions and weak in a fight (after being shot and having just killed his father) was a flaw in his books - because a baddie needs to be as baddie as Darth Vader? Is that not one of the explicitly displayed causes for Ren’s uncertainty of his worth and faltering? And politics have always been present in all movies, we just fixate on current topics and view everythings through tinted lenses. A New Hope was equally patriarchal as The Last Jedi is feminist. Back then the choice was probably not self-conscious, but now it most certainly was. Now it’s the girls’ time to live out the adventure fantasy. The stories roll with the times. It brings balance, and I’m happy about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment